Value-Education – Part 2
मूल्याधिष्ठितशिक्षणम् – द्वितीयोऽध्यायः
- I had presented some thoughts on Value Education earlier, mentioning “.. Since Universal and eternal values is the important essence of संस्कृत the language and संस्कृति cultural richness, inherent to it, it becomes a point to ponder upon, whether, education, if conducted through courses, syllabi and textbooks compiled in संस्कृत and based on संस्कृत texts will become values-based education. ..”
- To take the thoughts further, I get to recall a phrase शुचौ देशे in गीता २-११. The phrase may be translated to mean a sacrosanct site or place or location. This would prompt an enquiry into what a sacrosanct site or place or location is. Here the word देश should be interpreted to mean not just the place or site or location, but all the environmental surrounding there. So, शुचौ देशे connotes good and conducive environment and in turn understanding the environment and caring for it.
- There are शान्तिमन्त्र-s to both begin and close a ritual.
- One such शान्तिमन्त्र says ॐ द्यौ: शान्तिरन्तरिक्ष शान्ति: | पृथिवी शान्तिराप: शान्तिरोषधय: शान्ति:। वनस्पतय: शान्तिर्विश्वे देवा: शान्तिर्ब्रह्म शान्ति: सर्वँ शान्ति:, शान्तिरेव शान्ति: सा मा शान्तिरेधि ॥ ॐ शान्ति: शान्ति: शान्ति: ॥
- Another शान्तिमन्त्र of पुरुषसूक्तम् is ॐ तच्छं योरावृणीमहे | गातुं यज्ञाय | गातुं यज्ञपतये | दैवी स्वस्तिरस्तु नः | स्वस्तिर्मानुषेभ्यः | ऊर्ध्वं जिगातु भेषजम् | शं नो अस्तु द्विपदे | शं चतुष्पदे || ॐ शान्ति: शान्ति: शान्ति: ॥
- The शान्तिमन्त्र-s are sublime. They are sublime also because they evidence care for the environment and also for all living beings.
- Another famous शान्तिमन्त्र is a prayer ॐ सह नाववतु । सह नौ भुनक्तु । सह वीर्यं करवावहै । तेजस्विनावधीतमस्तु मा विद्विषावहै ॥ ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥ This शान्तिमन्त्र prays for
- तेजस्विनावधीतमस्तु May our learning be brilliant and also
- मा विद्विषावहै May we never have any rancour
- The शान्तिमन्त्र-s are sublime. But more importantly they have Value-Education inherent in them.
- दासबोध of संत रामदास is really a treatise in Marathi on conducting life, both with social responsibility and individual righteousness.
- Traditions in Indian culture detail three-fold approach to conduct of life – धर्म, अर्थ, काम. TirukkuraL in Tamil detail this approach by 133 sets of 10 verses each. It has three sections
- ARattuppaL with 38 sets (380 couplets) which obviously details अर्थ-aspect i.e. earning and supporting the family, rather one’s practical life
- PoruTpaL with 70 sets (700 couplets) seems to detail धर्म-aspect i.e. aspects of righteous behaviour
- KAmattupaL with 25 sets (250 couplets) seems to detail काम-aspect i.e. family-life, especially between husband and wife.
- In Sanskrit there is शतकत्रयम् of भर्तृहरि – three centuries of verses सुभाषितानि i.e. good sayings
- नीतिशतकम् – comprises 100+ verses सुभाषितानि on righteous behaviour
- शृङ्गारशतकम् – comprises 100+ verses सुभाषितानि on family-life, especially between husband and wife
- वैराग्यशतकम् – comprises 100+ verses सुभाषितानि on renunciation
- In response to my write-up on School Education at https://samskrutacharchaa.wordpress.com/2015/08/01/thoughts-on-school-education/ my son Rahul made an observation that “… One aspect of education that is sorely missed in schools is health and emotional well being. This is different from PE and sports. It is about how to understand and take care of our body and mind, knowledge of healthy eating, and awareness and management of emotions. More than intelligence, this is proven to be a high contributor to a person’s successful life. …”
- In गीता especially in 17th and 18th chapter there is good elucidation, rather, three-fold analysis सत्त्व-रज-तम (Best-Average-Bad)-analysis of almost every other aspect of life, such as
- आहार (गीता १७-८, ९, १०) diet
- यज्ञ (गीता १७-११, १२, १३) – It is difficult to give a single meaning of यज्ञ. Traditional meaning of यज्ञ as sacrificial ritual of oblation to a fire is grossly misleading. See various types of अग्नि-s and यज्ञ-s mentioned in गीता itself, ब्रह्माग्नि (४-२५), संयमाग्नि (४-२६), आत्मसंयमयोगाग्नि (४-२७), द्रव्ययज्ञ, तपोयज्ञ, योगयज्ञ स्वाध्यायज्ञानयज्ञ (४-२८).
- तप – Concept of तप is detailed as being of three types शारीरम् वाङ्मयम् मानसम् in श्लोक-s १७-१४ to १७-१६ and the three-fold सत्त्व-रज-तम-analysis is detailed in श्लोक-s १७-१७ to १७-१९
- दान – I would think that दान should be understood to mean philanthropy. But in श्लोक १७-२२ indiscriminate philosophy is also chided upon.and is graded into तम-grade
- त्याग (गीता १८-७, ८, ९) – sacrifice
- ज्ञान (गीता १८-२०, २१, २२) – knowledge
- कर्म (गीता १८-२३, २४, २५) – duty and action
- कर्ता (गीता १८-२६, २७, २८) – doer
- बुद्धि (गीता १८-३०, ३१, ३२) – intellect and discretion
- धृति (गीता १८-३३, ३४, ३५) – forbearance
- सुख (गीता १८-३७, ३८, ३९) – pleasure and/or happiness
- There is a composition by the name सदाचारः by श्रीमच्छंकराचार्य
- There have been famous stories quite entertaining for children, yet with morals especially in पञ्चतन्त्रम् and हितोपदेशः In पञ्चतन्त्रम्, as is clear from the name itself, the 71 stories are narrated in five sections – मित्रभेदः (22), मित्रसंप्राप्तिः (6), काकोलूकीयम् (16), लब्धप्रणाशः (12) and अपरीक्षितकारकम् (15 stories). The narration and the morals are summarized in as many as 1134 सुभाषितानि.
- Looking back at all of my own education I fail to recall whether I had any systematic value-education anytime.
Any education which does not have value-education inbuilt is certainly incomplete education. That needs to be set right. And there is so much literature available in Sanskrit. All that has to be brought into our education system, to build strong forthcoming generations healthy in body, mind and soul.